Sulfur for Better Health? 10 Surprising Ways Sulfur Can Benefit You
You're probably familiar with sulfur as a natural element but did you know that organic sulfur (also called MSM or Methylsulfonylmethane) is absolutely vital to health? Sulfur is one of the basic building blocks of vibrant health, essential for maintaining everything from youthful skin and joints to a healthy digestive system.
Read on to find out 10 ways sulfur can positively affect health, not just for people but all animal life.
Our website also has more in depth information on our organic sulfur supplement to help you experience the benefits of bio-available sulfur for yourself.
Did you know ...
- Sulfur is the third most abundant mineral in the body, about half being concentrated in the muscles, skin and bones, and is essential for life. Sulfur makes up vital amino acids used to create protein for cells, tissues, hormones, enzymes, and antibodies. The body uses up its store daily so it must be continually replenished for optimal health and nutrition.
- Sulfur is needed for insulin production. Insulin controls carbohydrate metabolism, but insufficient sulfur makes it harder for the pancreas to produce enough insulin, and makes cells less able to absorb things from the blood, contributing to blood sugar problems.
- Sulfur detoxifies at the cellular level. Healthy cells can absorb adequate nutrients while releasing toxins and wastes. Sulfur affects this by helping your body build strong breathable cell walls that properly balance cell pressure. Having enough sulfur helps your body to remove toxins that may suffocate or swell the cells which may have resulted in pain, stiffness and muscle soreness.
- Sulfur supports and builds flexible cells in the arteries and veins - the opposite of "hardening of the arteries". Elastic, "breathable" blood vessel tissues are able to pass oxygen and nutrients through their walls to nourish the rest of the body and handle the body's blood flow without stress. Having enough bio-available sulfur helps ensure you have the correct nutrients for normal cell replacement.
- Sulfur has been called nature's "beauty mineral" because it keeps your complexion clear and youthful and hair glossy and smooth. Collagen production in your body depends on sulfur to create healthy skin and heal scars. When you have enough sulfur in your body, your skin and hair are more flexible, softer, and smoother.
- Where is organic sulfur found in nature? Where do we get organic sulfur we can use? From rainwater and seawater absorbed by plants. Plankton in our oceans absorb it from underwater volcanoes and then release sulfur compounds back into seawater as part of their natural cycle. This is converted to DMS, a gas sulfur compound that bubbles up into the atmosphere. Ozone and ultraviolet sunlight change the sulfur gas to other forms of organic sulfur, DMSO and Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). The rain now contains organic sulfur which is spread over the oceans and land where it is absorbed by plants and seaweed.
- We don't eat a large diet of foods rich in organic sulfur like people used to. For most of human history, we ate fruits and vegetables fresh from the ground and did not have to give a second thought to getting this essential nutrient. However, food storage, transport, processing, cooking, even washing and drying, disperse and degrade MSM. Now due to our modern lifestyle, we have lost access to the organic sulfur our bodies expect. Also our need for sulfur maybe greater due to the stresses of air pollution and degradation of our soil and water, so it has become essential to make sure we do get enough for optimal health, such as by supplementing our diets with bio-available sulfur.
- MSM has a subtle anti-parasitic action. When parasites attach to someone's intestinal lining, they can live, reproduce and leach nutrients from the body indefinitely. Organic sulfur helps block parasites by competing for receptor sites on the mucous membrane. When parasites can not attach themselves, they may be simply flushed out of the system along with the excess MSM.
- MSM has anti-allergenic properties. MSM has an ability to bind to mucuous membranes and form a natural block against alien substances. Another way MSM can help in this area is through detoxification of irritating substances, elimination of free radicals, and improvement of cell permeability for better flow of nutrients in and wastes out.
- MSM and Vitamin C. Your body uses organic sulfur (MSM) along with Vitamin C to create new, healthy cells and connective tissue. Organic sulfur helps determine how flexible the bond is between the cells. An adequate supply of MSM and Vitamin C supports healthy cell regeneration. As your new cells are created, MSM is incorporated into the bonds that make up cells walls. The result is the creation of cell walls that are better able to absorb nutrients.
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is 34% sulfur, making it the richest source of bio-available organic sulfur. MSM is safe, non-allergenic and easily digestible as a food.
Since naturally occurring organic sulfur is found only tiny amounts in even the richest natural plant sources, you would have to eat a pound of garlic every day to get as much as is in a teaspoon of MSM.
The safety of the MSM supplements we have chosen to carry is guaranteed by manufacturing (in a GMP-FDA approved facility) that uses distillation to remove all impurities, leaving only MSM. With regular testing for quality and purity, this MSM meets and exceeds industry standards. MSM has received a GRAS designation, meaning "Generally Recognized as Safe".
Our MSM, available for people and pets in bulk one pound bags, will help you supplement your diet with an often overlooked essential mineral. Even though MSM is found in small quantities in food, we recommend adding our Organic Sulfur to your daily nutrition program as the best way to ensure you get sufficient amounts to support your needs.
We now have minimally processed MSM as Pure Organic Sulfur Crystals to support your cellular health. This is the most potent form, up to 85% more effective than commercially ground powders in jars or capsules, which may also contain anti-caking agents. Find out more and get our minimally processed Organic Sulfur crystals here.
Take 1 teaspoon per 100 lbs of body weight twice daily. Just put it in a glass or water bottle or jar and let it sit at room temperature to dissolve. Overnight dissolving is easy, although it doesn't really take that long. Then you can drink it first thing in the morning and again later midafternoon.
Take your water bottle with you to drink Drink LOTS of water. You can give the dissolved sulfur/water mix a small squeeze of lemon to mask the slightly bitter taste if you like, though most people get used to it quickly, especially since you may feel increased energy shortly after drinking it.
It is preferable to take MSM Sulfur on an empty stomach, so nothing interferes with its full, fast utilization in the body. If you take it with food or other supplements, some of it will combine with the those for less effect.
We hope you enjoyed learning more about the positive impact supplementing with sulfur can have on your health. Who knew that such a common element is also a vital food supplement?
Did you know that organic Sulfur and natural Vitamin C work together synergistically to support collagen production, the immune system and more? If you are taking large amounts of sulfur (MSM), you should also increase your natural Vitamin C.
Take me to the Organic Sulfur product page