Miso (pronounced mee-so) is an all-purpose and delicious seasoning for flavoring soups and meats or vegetable dishes, or for making salad dressings, sauces, and spreads. It is not a staple in the American kitchen but it is in the Chinese and Japanese culture dating back 2.500 years. Is a favorite, in fact Miso soup is eaten for breakfast in Japan.
Our Miso is a paste made from non-gmo soybeans, sea salt and koji (a fermentation starter), and mixed with rice or barley and spices like peppers. The mixture is allowed to ferment for 3 months to 3 years, which produces an enzyme-rich food. Our Miso is not pasteurized and so has all the benefits, amongst them are the complete array of amino acids, which makes it a complete protein. It serves as a probiotic, helps with digestion and is a good vegetable source of B Vitamins.
Here are some recipes for you on how to use this healthy and tasty food. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Quick Miso Soup
Yellow or green onions
Spinach, chard or kale
Optional herbs: parsley, thyme or cilantro.
- Chop and simmer vegetables in water.
- Mix the miso with 1/2 cup water or hot broth: Place the miso in a cup. Scoop out about 1/2 cup of the broth and pour it over the miso, or use more water. Whisk with a dinner fork or a whisk until the miso is entirely dissolved in the water and no lumps remain.
- Pour the dissolved miso into the broth after the vegetables are cooked soft enough to eat and heat has been turned off. Stir through and it’s ready!.
- Scoop the miso soup into individual bowls and serve. Miso contains natural fermentation probiotics, so it is best when eaten without much reheating.
Miso Salad Dressing
- 1 rounded tbsp miso
- 2 tbsp vinegar – apple cider, umboshi plum or rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp fresh, grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Whisk together miso and vinegar in a small bowl. Add remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined or use a blender. Put on your favorite salad or dish.
For more Miso recipes go to our Miso product page.